Sunday, April 22, 2007

Beautiful weekend

Work is finally starting to slow down for me, and I took advantage this weekend! Friday night we went to dinner with friends at Sette VII. It's an Italian restaurant in Mt. P that is owned & run by the same people that run the Mustard Seed & Village Bakery. The restaurant is in an old Pizza Hut - but the atmosphere is awesome, the food great & the prices the best part!!




Saturday I ventured downtown to the Farmer's Market. The weather couldn't have been more perfect, and I thoroughly enjoyed strolling around, looking at all the produce, art, and fresh food. I ended up buying produce from several different farms, two of which are right here on John's Island. I left with spring mix greens, strawberries, snow peas, zucchini, spring onions, red bell pepper & corn. The Charleston Farmer's Market is awesome this time of year (it's not blazing hot yet). There are dogs and kids everywhere, lots of flowers, fresh squeezed lemonade, fresh crepes, and bluegrass. If you haven't ever been to a farmer's market, you should definitely go!! The food is usually cheaper (although not always - so be sure to ask about prices before you buy) & almost always tastes better. I think the best part though is getting to see the people that actually grow the food. When you buy food at the grocery store, there's a definite disconnect between the food & where is comes from. As long as it looks pretty & is inexpensive, we don't think too much about how it gets there.


I did have to work some, but only for a few hours. Other activities included a pedicure, shopping, & cooking. We've already eaten all the snow peas & some of the red bell pepper (in stir fry), and the corn (grilled with cumin & ancho chili powder).

Unfortunately, John had to study all weekend & didn't get to enjoy it as much as I did - but we're both looking forward to a relaxed summer when he's not in school & my busy season has completely ended!!

No comments: