Friday, July 10, 2009

rice, oatmeal & apples

When Whit turned 5 months old, we started trying out solid foods. It's been a pretty slow process - both on Whit's part and Mom & Dad's. We started out with rice cereal, and it's safe to say Whit pretty much hated it. He'd spit it out, make horrible faces, and after 4 or 5 bites just start crying. After two or three days of trying to force it down him I was starting to think that maybe he just wasn't ready for solids. Then it became obvious that it was not agreeing with his stomach. After taking a break for about a week, we gave oatmeal a try. He definitely liked the oatmeal better than the rice cereal, but he was still just tolerating it. I was starting to get a little frustrated with giving him solids (isn't it supposed to be fun?). Then this weekend I gave him apples to eat. I wasn't sure if he'd like them or not. We've tried to give him watered down apple juice a few times to help with constipation & he wouldn't drink it - so my expectations were low. He L-O-V-E-D them!! I mean leg kicking, arm waving excitement over each bite. So today I mixed in some apples with his oatmeal & that did the trick. He happily gobbled up every bite of that oatmeal. We have some video of him eating the rice cereal that I want to post, but it's too long. As soon as I learn how to edit it, I'll post it.

Below are some pictures of him in his nifty highchair. I love it. I started feeding him in his swing because his highchair is still so big for him, but it didn't take long to realize it's too messy an endeavor to continue in something that can't quickly be wiped down with a washcloth. He's too cute in the highchair!




Posted by Picasa

No comments: