Sunday, June 25, 2006

Settling in

We're finally getting into the groove of everyday, normal life. John has survived his first 3 weeks of gross anatomy, and already has his first test behind him. This week he gets to study the head & all that it entails (brains, eyeballs, etc.). The first two weeks he studied literally every waking moment, but now is getting more comfortable with the massive onslaught of information & is taking more breaks (at least for meals & the occasional outing). There are only 7 more weeks left of this class, which is supposed to be the worst one he'll take (we're keeping our fingers crossed at least).

After having a couple of months off from work, it's been no fun getting used to sitting at a desk & staring at a computer all day again. On a positive note, getting a paycheck again has its advantages too. Pratt-Thomas wasted no time putting me to work. I've only been there 3 weeks & have already worked my first weekend, and a couple of late nights during the week. I can't decide if I'm going to like it or hate it, but am trying to remind myself that I can't form a fair opinion after only 3 weeks. All the people are very nice & I even made it on their website.

This past weekend we went to eat at 2 places, both within minutes of our house that we'll definitely go back to. Friday night we ventured to the Mustard Seed, which I'd heard so much about. The hype was right on. It's a little gourmet, a little eclectic & a lot affordable. We were amazed how awesome our food was for the price. John got amazing pork tenderloin & I got a southwestern torte - both for $10. Saturday night we went to JB's Smokehouse, just down the street on John's Island. It's one of those BBQ places that's only open on the weekend (the kind you know will be good). Our BBQ plates came with hash & rice, AND two other bacon-fat laiden sides. JB even came out to talk to us.

The goal for this week is to join the gym. I quickly found that you have to run before 8am or after 8pm. It's extremely too hot to do any kind of exercise outside any other time of the day.

No comments: