This past week has been much busier than normal. We had a dental school party, 2 different dinners with friends, a Chamber happy hour for work, etc.
Monday night (7/24) was the dental school party. If I haven't mentioned them before, there are 4 tests during gross anatomy (the third one was Monday). After each test one of the dental school classes sponsors a "post gross party" for the entire dental school. They are JUST like fraternity parties, complete with keg beer. It's funny - we never expected to be drinking keg beer again on a regurlar basis. Our age difference shows up most at these parties. We go, meet & greet for a few hours, and then go home around midnight (after all, they are all on a school night - literally). We go home, & wave good bye to all the 22 & 23 year olds who are just getting started. But they are fun & I've gotten to know some of the other wives & girlfriends.
Friday night we went to see Ryan Adams (NOT to be mistaken for Bryan Adams) in concert at the Charleston Music Hall. The show was phenomenal. He is incredibly talented, & also incredibly arrogant. He only spoke to the audience twice. Once was to tell people that there was an intermission coming up (he seemed to be annoyed that people were getting up to get drinks & use the restrooms) and the other was in response to some prodding from another band member who was telling the audience that Ryan liked Charleston (in response Ryan said "yeah, this city's got a vibe"). But putting up with his ego is worth it for such a great show. The only disappointment was he didn't play two of our favorite songs. He put out 3 separate, full length albums in 2005 alone. With so much new material, we knew we wouldn't hear everything. One highlight was that he sang a Gram Parsons tune called Hickory Wind, which I love. Check out the lyrics...
In South Carolina there are many tall pines
I remember the oak tree that we used to climb
But now when I'm lonesome, I always pretend
That I'm getting the feel of hickory wind
I started out younger at most everything
All the riches and pleasures, what else could life bring?
But it makes me feel better each time it begins
Callin' me home, hickory wind
It's hard way to find out that trouble is real
In a far away city, with a far away feel
But it makes me feel better each time it begins
Callin' me home, hickory wind
Keeps callin' me home, hickory wind
No comments:
Post a Comment