In the past 6 weeks, this is one of only 2 weekends we've gotten to spend at our own house, in Charleston. There was nothing special about it. No holidays, no parties, no travel, no family or friend get-togethers, no real plans, and best of all no funerals (most of you know my grandmother passed away on 1/17). Though John had to study some and I had to work some, there was no pressure since there is no test on Monday for John, and no deadlines for me. In other words, the weekend was exactly as a weekend should be -- relaxing and enjoyable. It was wonderful!!
Friday night we spent time with two different groups of friends (old friends from college and new friends from dental school) at Wildwings in Mt. P and O'Malley's downtown.
Saturday, we took full advantage of having nothing to do. We've been training for the bridge run since New Years, and Saturday morning we went running on the bridge for the first time since the bridge run last year. I did better than I thought I would (I ran the entire up hill portion), but we still have a long way to go. After running, we decided to go to Freshfields for the afternoon, which is about a 20 minute drive from our house, right before you get to Kiawah Island. I walked around & browsed at stores, while John studied at the coffee shop there. I bought Barack Obama's book, The Audacity of Hope, which I've been wanting to read. I'm only a few pages into it, but know that the man definitely knows the right things to say if nothing else. I've never been interested in politics, but suddenly am very interested in the upcoming presidential election. I don't know if that is a product of my age, or a result of the discord in the country. Probably a combination of both.
Saturday night we watched Shindler's List (neither of us saw it when it came out), which was extremely powerful, difficult to watch, and very inspirational. I need someone to remind me of that next time I complain about ANYthing.
Today (Sunday), we slept late & then went running around the neighborhood for 40 minutes (those of you who know my running struggles think that is a typo). Then we worked/studied for the rest of the day. I'm about to leave work (where I am typing this), and we are headed to meet a 3rd group of friends at E. Bay crab shack, where all of their entrees are $10.99 for the month of January :).
Wish we had more weekends like this one!
Some might find that a boring weekend, but we've thoroughly enjoyed it!
No comments:
Post a Comment