Thursday, September 17, 2009

Dead Computer

It has been a while since I've posted - but I have a good excuse. Good excuse, but bad news. Our computer died. I should rephrase. Our computer that is only two years old died. In fact, it's still dead. I'm writing this from my work computer, which thank the Lord is a laptop that I can bring home at night. Because everyone knows we cannot NOT have internet access in our house - even for one night, let alone a week. Unfortunately, b/c this is my work computer, this will be a picture-less post. (I know, what's the point, right?)

Thankfully, all of our music, videos & pictures (except those from the last 2 or 3 weeks) are backed up on an external hard drive.

Responsible, type A husband: 1
Laid-back, procratinating wife: 0

So there will eventually be pictures again. Also, as luck would have it, we'd gotten incredibly lazy about taking pictures over the past month, so I don't think we're losing a ton of photos. Most of what we're losing, assuming they can't be recovered off the dead computer, is from our trip to the Upstate for the first Clemson game of the season.

Coincidentally, right after our computer died, our car had to be serviced for a whopping $800. I had a thundercloud hovering over my head for a couple of days, but have since recovered. I'm sure it will return when the credit card bill comes in the mail, and again when we go computer shopping.

So for the verbal update...

There's a lot of sitting going on in our house! Whit is SO close to being able to sit unassisted. I mean, if we were measuring on a ruler, we'd only have millimeters to go. He's also half-way mobile. By this I mean he can get to where he wants to go, it just might take him a while. He'll see something he wants in front of him & then roll from side to side, inching forward with each roll until it's within reach. He hasn't figured out that if he turns sideways & rolls in one direction, he'd get to his destination a heck of a lot quicker (& we're not complaining). In fact, it takes him so long that he usually gets distracted by something else he sees along the way.

He's rolling around so much that we had to abandon our sleeping bag we'd been using as a play mat for Whit because with one quick roll he'd be off of it. I've been consignment sale shopping over the past couple of weeks (these are the best things ever) & picked up these cool little foam tiles for $4.00. There are a few letters missing, but for $4.00, I can live with that. Now the challenge is to teach our cat that they are not scratching pads. Those of you who have met our intellect-challenged pet know that is a good thing I only spent $4.00.

Another not-so-fun development with Whit is that he's been refusing to take his bottles & not sleeping through the night. At first I was attributing it to some constipation issues we'd been having. Then I was attributing it to a cold & finally, an ear infection (our very first one). But alas, all of these problems are gone and he still won't drink but a couple of ounces out of each bottle & he's still waking up in the middle of the night. Regardless of the reason, the pediatrician told me he needs 16 oz. of milk at a minimum. So each day we struggle to get at least 16 oz. down him. We've tried another brand of formula, a sippy cup (against doctor's wishes), and an open cup. Finally last night, we spiked it with juice. Any other advice???

Solid foods are a whole other story. He can't get enough of them. And watch out when you give him yogurt. You better be quick on the draw because he's not going to wait to let you take a sip of your coffee before he gets the next bite. That's probably why he doesn't want the milk. I've tasted the formula & I'd refuse it too - especially knowing there's better stuff coming up.

I think he's probably ready to move beyond the 100% strained food to mashed food & even cheerios. But I've been really nervous about this move because I'm terrified of him choking. But, I bought some baby puffs (glorified rice krispies made in the shape of cheerios that cost 3x's as much) & let him try them this week. I haven't given him a whole one yet, but he did great with half-puffs. He also LOVED a teething biscuit we let him try. However he easily broke off a large chunk of the biscuit in his mouth - so no more teething biscuits for now.

As I mentioned before, it's football season. That means a lot of roadtrips to Upstate SC for our family. That also means a lot of happy grandparents since they are graciously baby sitting for us while we go play with our friends in Clemson. Last Thursday night we watched the Tigers play Ga Tech with a gathering of friends in Charleston. John was holding Whit, while sitting among the guys when Clemson scored their first touchdown of the game. John and all the guys around him suddenly jumped up and cheered. Loud. Whit did not see the joy in the occasion. It scared him to death & he cried. Make that screamed. Must be hard to be 7 months old.

That's all the update for now - hopefully next time there will be pictues.

No comments: