I bet you were expecting our next post to be about the holidays, given that Thanksgiving just ended, and we are fully into the Christmas season (and given that we have gotten extremely lazy about updating the blog, and rarely post about random things anymore). Well, today's post is not about thankfulness, joy, peace on earth, or goodwill to men. Instead, it's about biscuits.
I have been learning a lot about sustainable agriculture at work. While all of the causes of the League are worthwhile, the sustainable agriculture initiative really has resonated with me. I have been reading Animal, Vegatable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver, which really makes you think about your food and where it comes from. Also, I've been following this couple from Florence, SC (who are friends of a co-worker), who made it a project to only eat local food for a year. To make a very long story short, it made me think about how our eating habits and lifestyles are so different than my grandparents, and even parents.
Being from the South, biscuits were a daily staple 50 years ago. Now for us, they are a once-in-a-while treat, usually when we go out for breakfast (our arteries and waistlines thank us). If we ever have them at home, they most definitely come from Pilsbury. I wanted to see if I could make biscuits the old-fashioned way - one that didn't require hitting the refridgerated dough agains the corner of the cabinet to pop open the can.
Right now I have you thinking that my making biscuits from scratch is in an effort to relate to my ancestors, or maybe even become a part of the slow food & eat local initiatives. But if I'm honest, I have to say that really it's because I saw this video on youtube, and this lady is awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q6pFcc54Sw
Below are some pictures of my messy efforts.
No comments:
Post a Comment