Clemson opened the 2010 football season with a home game last Saturday. It wasn't a big game, and the weather was supposed to be in the mid 80's. We decided it would be a great chance to take Whit to his first game. We knew we were taking a chance. Whit naps from 12 - 2pm each day, & the game started at 3:30. So we would be tailgating during his normal nap time. All I can say is that everyone involved, Whit included, gave it their best shot.
We arrived about 11:30 to our tailgating spot. I gave Whit some lunch & we let him play & wonder around some. He never seemed too happy though, even when he was playing. We hoped he'd be better after a nap (& we hoped even more that he would take a nap). We did manage to get him to fall asleep in his stroller, but it didn't last long. With all the commotion going on around him, he only napped about 25 minutes. Despite the short nap, he played pretty well while we tailgated.
At game time, it was obvious on our way to the stadium that he was so, so sleepy. The portal to our seats was jammed with people who were trying to get to their seats, but no one was moving. After waiting in the crowd for about 5 minutes with Whit crying & wanting down, I decided I'd bring him up after kickoff & give him some time to settle down. When I finally brought him to our seats, he was sleepy & irritable and it took about one minute to realize we couldn't stay in the stands with him in this state. So I took him back to the concourse, got his stroller & tried to get him to fall asleep again. This time however, he wasn't content in the stroller either. He was a very unhappy camper. At the end of the first quarter, we gave up and headed home. We'll try it again when it's cooler, and next time we'll know not to go until after his nap time!

No comments:
Post a Comment